Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Books I Read in 2009 (Continued)

Continuation of the books I read in 2009.



"Tribes" by Seth Godin- 5 Stars
This is the handbook for how business is changing, as well as leadership in the future. We're all in tribes following someone, and these tribes are calling out for leaders. Read it.











"Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto" by Mark Levin- 5 Stars
This book puts into clarity everything the Conservative believes about all the issues and highlights the distinction between the founding fathers' and the statists' views, and how our country has been and is being changed into something it was never intended to be. Suggested reading for every American, regardless of your political viewpoints as the facts and details of beliefs are laid out plainly as opposed to how the media portrays things.





"A Cast of Characters" by Max Lucado- 4.5 Stars
This is a compilation of short writings from Max Lucado about main and minor characters of the Bible and key modern takes on elements of their stories. While I didn't get much out of some of the stories, there were several that will continue to cause me to think differently about God, life, and my purpose from here on out.







"Rules of Thumb" by Alan Weber- 5 Stars
52 great principles to live by and operate any business from. From the co-founder of the awesome business magazine Fast Company, Alan's perspectives and proverbs are quintessential to growth and prosperity in any economic time period.







"Joker" by Brian Azarello and Lee Bermejo- 5 Stars
I forgot I read this. It's a Brian Azarello/Lee Bermejo graphic novel that's all about the Joker. Somehow Joker gets released from Arkham legally and goes out to reclaim his territory. It's told from the perspective of a low-level thief who wants to make a name for himself, so he agrees to pick up Joker from Arkham and becomes his right hand man. It's a great story and you see the wickedness of the Joker and his whole ideals towards life and people. Batman makes a brief appearance at the end and it comes at the most perfect time. Very realistic in story and the art is killer, no pun intended.





"Sex God" by Rob Bell-5 Stars
The book plays on the premise that sexuality is so connected to faith and spirituality that we need to understand how "this is really about that." I didn't know what to expect about the subject matter, but Bell is such an amazing author and contemporary, I knew it would be a good read. I was wrong. It was a great read. He takes so many Jewish cultural ideas and symbols told throughout scripture and puts it in context. The whole teaching of Jesus about how His Father's house has many rooms not only makes sense now, it means more than just a big house in heaven. Great read!






"Jesus Wants To Save Christians" by Rob Bell- 5 Stars
I forgot that I read this before Sex God. It was from this book that I wanted to put all of Bell's books in my library. Some of it might seem controversial for people who enjoy American military strength, but for open-minded individuals who want to hear God's voice in these times, and our role in it, this is the stuff you want.







"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy-5 Stars
One of the best pieces of fiction I've ever read. He has a very unique style, one that probably would have made me fail English in grade school if I'd tried to write that way. The story is a post-apocalyptic world where a man and his feeble son are trying to travel south to the coast, all the while trying to find food, avoid other people, and protect themselves against the elements. I had hoped that the ending wouldn't be without resolve like a lot of stories do. Fortunately, it ended in the best way it could.











"No Country For Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy-5 Stars
I was hooked on McCarthy after The Road, so I picked this one up. I'd already seen the movie, which helped me understand that breakdown of the story, and actually made the movie more appealing. I'll definitely have to watch it again. The characters are so well written, and the storyline is so unique it doesn't fit descriptions or reviews. Part western, part crime drama. It's a great story about an older generation seeing the future and recognizing that there is no easy cure for the disease of evil, nor an easy way to combat the new breed of criminals on the horizon.








"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold-5 Stars
I'd wanted to read this book for about 2 years. It was on the NY Times best seller list for about a year and a half at the top spot. Recently I read they were making a movie about it, so I decided to read it before the film came out. It's a story about a young girl who is killed by a neighbor and she watches from her heaven and tries to help her family move on, and still find her killer. The story is less about vengeance as it is love. Great story, I hope the movie is just as good.






"Mr. T The Man With The Gold" by Mr. T-5 Stars
It's the autobiography of one of my childhood heroes. I almost bought this a few years ago on ebay. But I found it at a Half-Priced bookstore in Houston. Man, Mr. T is the real deal. I knew he was tough, but reading his story and all that he's overcome is really remarkable. Without giving too much away, it's easy to see how he was cast in Rocky3. He even said it was easy to get the part because he'd been Clubber Lang his whole life. His book came out in 1984 and a lot has happened since then, but still a great read.

No comments: